HARRISBURG, Pa. -- The 50th All-American Dairy Show is set for Sept. 7-12, a week earlier than past shows, and will celebrate the nation’s dairy industry through competition and special events.
The theme is “A Celebration of Generations of Excellence.” This golden jubilee is expected to draw nearly 1000 dairy men, women and youths from across the nation. They will exhibit 2500 cows and heifers during 22 shows at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Center here in Harrisburg.
“For 50 years, the All-American Dairy Show has showcased some of the best dairy cattle in the country, shown by world-renowned breeders, many of whom are from Pennsylvania,” said Agriculture Secretary George Greig. “This year’s show will pay tribute to long-time exhibitors and honor youths who participate in the show.”
New this year is the selection of the supreme champion best bred and owned animal of the open show, to be named during the supreme champion pageant on Thursday, Sept. 12.
The 10th annual Premier National Junior Events run in conjunction with the All-American Dairy Show from Sept. 7-9. A junior events benefit auction will be held Sunday, Sept. 8. Items available for bid include:
• Two framed Bonnie Mohr prints
• Seven painted cheese boxes representing each breed
• One-of-a-kind light fixture made from a barn stanchion
• Four Seasons Farm, Butler County, pheasant hunting trip
• Handcrafted wooden furniture piece by Tioga County’s Russell Jones
• Personalized hand-painted piece by Debbie Cornman, Cumberland County
Also new is the National Dairy Shrine Banquet slated for Wednesday, Sept. 11, in the PA Preferred® Banquet Hall, and dairy oxen demonstrations on Sept. 7-8.
Open show judges have been confirmed:
• Ayrshires – Chris Hill, Thurmont, Md.
• Brown Swiss – Eric Topp, Wapakoneta, Ohio
• Guernseys – Chris Lahmers, Marysville, Ohio
• Holsteins – Michael Heath, Westminster, Md.
• Jerseys – Kelli Cull, Lomira, Wis.
• Milking Shorthorns – J. McDonald, Middleton, Va.
• Red & Whites – Steve Shaw, Williamsburg, Blair County.
For more information or to donate items to the junior events auction, call the show office at 717-787-2905 or visit www.allamerican.state.pa.us.